One hopeless romantic, one practical comic . . . laughing our way through a lifetime of love!
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Ode to My Husband
It's not often enough that I brag about my wonderful husband. Last weekend at our marriage retreat we studied how we are each different by design. How God created us to be different from each other, yet equally complementary as well. This fact was proven in the Harrell household last night. I have been struggling with a situation for many months now that I've foolishly allowed to govern many of my thoughts, actions, and emotions for way too long now. Last night it came to a head. I felt hurt, betrayed, sad, and a little heart-broken. I knew it was time to say goodbye to this particular situation. I came home mad and angry about the events that unfolded before me not long ago and I just yelled (not at Chris, but TO Chris) for 10 minutes about this situation. And while it is in his nature to want to fix the problem for me and offer the advice to help push me through it, he just let me yell. He knew that I had reached my limit and he just let me get it all out in the open. Then, after the yelling came the breakdown. I started to cry because the anger had transformed into hurt and disappointment and at that point, all that was left to do was cry. And even though I was in a completely different room in the house than Chris, he came to me, wrapped his arms around me, and didn't say a word for 10 minutes. There I was snotting all over his shirt, crying my broken heart out, and he just held me. A little while later, he looked at me and simply stated "you can always depend on me." This statement, of course, was completely relevant to the topic at hand and were the words that I just needed to hear. I was so moved by the way he just recognized a need, stopped what he was in the middle of doing, turned a deaf ear to what reaction comes naturally to him (regarding fixing the problem), and met me in my sorrow. What a sweet, amazing man! I feel so fortunate to be married to a man that constantly exemplifies gentleness, patience, and love. After 6 years together, he just knows what I need. I am so thankful for that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment