Friday, October 9, 2009

My Reading Nook

Ever since I was laid off from my job, I have become an avid reader. There are so many books that spark my interest that I typically have several going on at one time. And ever since I learned the joys of the public library and the Christian Book Outlet Store, it seems I just cannot keep away! Over dinner last night, I heard Chris tell Rob about how our home has turned into a library! Everywhere he looks there are stacks of books (hmm - it sounds like there's a little bit of Dr. Seuss coming out of me now!). So this morning, I decided that maybe I should condense my many piles into one area and designate it my "reading nook."


Here is my current stack of books. Some are fictional stories from beloved authors, some are biographical tales, and others are topical books by Christian authors (Tozer, Moore, Arthur, Terkeurst, etc.,)


If you look closely, on the left side of the picture is a beautiful Willow Tree plaque of two girls facing each other capturing the essence of deep friendship and communion with someone you love. No shock here, the title card that came with this plaque reads "Friendship: forever true, forever friends". Kelly gave this gift to me last night for my birthday. This gift is indescribable to me. For so long I have searched for a friend with whom I can completely be myself. One that will unconditionally love me and support me through life's up's and down's. Well, through a series of events over this last year, Kelly has most certainly become that friend to me - and I to her. We are very dear friends and I honestly wouldn't know how to live life without her anymore. She is so caring, supportive, fun-loving, and accepting of who I am and all that I want to be. She is special - beyond words. I thought it only appropriate to place this plaque in my reading nook for 2 reasons: 1. This nook is where I go to search the Word of God and learn from Him. I often find myself re-telling what I've learned that day to Kelly at some point :) And 2. This is also where I commune with God in prayer. And more often than not, Kelly is included in those prayers. So this is a wonderful reminder for me to share my knowledge of Christ with her to encourage her spiritually, and also to remember to pray for her often . . . especially in her current season of life.

No comments: