Monday, September 15, 2008

Lost Souls

On Friday I was granted the "privilege" of riding the train in to Raleigh with 15 other co-workers to visit our Raleigh Office/Projects. The day was actually quite lovely - we had a wonderful meal waiting for us when we arrived, we walked down Fayetteville Street Mall and learned all about the history and its future, drove through several of our existing projects, and finished our time in Raleigh office with drinks at a local sidewalk cafe/restaurant (I met my parents for coffee instead). When we got back to the train station, we were informed that our train had been delayed an hour and a 20 minutes. So, since we would now be travelling through the dinner hours, we headed down the street to a nearby restaurant. I enjoyed a filling garden salad while the rest of my peers boozed it up at the bar :) 45 Minutes later, here comes a train . . . it had number 61 on it and we were on number 79, so we were sure that it wasn't our train. Turns out, it was . . . and I had to run to catch the train! We almost didn't make it! It was exciting and terrifying all at the same time! However, just when I thought I was settling in for a nice, quiet trip back to Charlotte, my co-workers pulled out the "Secret" bottles of top shelf liquor and proceeded to get drunk - the whole 3 hours back to Charlotte! I was in misery! I could not believe what I was seeing. They were acting like ridiculous, foolish, loud, obnoxious, arrogant LOST people . . . and it broke my heart. Somehow, I have managed to avoid those types of encounters my whole life, but there was no avoiding this one. Not only was I shocked and furious at their behavior while on a business trip (representing ColeJenest and Stone), but I was so sad for them because I realize that they are just trying to fill an empty void in their lives - a need that only Jesus can meet. I got off the train and immediately began to pray for them all the way home as I knew they would be getting into their cars and drunkenly driving to their next destination (which, from what I could tell, would just be another stop on this party train). I haven't stopped praying for them - or me - ever since. It became very clear to me that night that this place where I work, where I spend 10 hours a day with non-believers, this place is my mission field. I am responsible for being "salt and light" to them as instructed in Matthew 5:13-16. This is a huge responsibility - but I know I have the necessary support to see it through. Please be praying for me as I attempt to set myself apart from my co-workers and live out a pleasing testimony of God's grace, faithfulness, fulfillment, and salvation.

On a lighter note, I think I'm gonna start a book club! Just a little club of girls where we read a different book each month, get together once a month over coffee and tea (and appetizers), and discuss the book. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics . . . but it could be super fun! I think I might start with this book:



Let me know if you're interested . . .

1 comment: