Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rubella

Chris and I made the decision recently to change fertility doctors. We had our first appointment with our new doctor, Dr. Usadi, on Friday, 7/25/08. It was GREAT! She was fabulous, the whole experience was fabulous, and we feel certain this is directly where the Lord has been leading us. Before we left her office on Friday, I was asked to give blood to be tested for Cystic Fibrosis and Rubella. The results came back yesterday. I tested negative for CF, but apparently I am no longer immune to Rubella. I was vaccinated when I was very young (around 5 years old), and certain vaccinations can wear off after 15 years. Dr. Usadi explained to me the benefits and necessity of receiving this vaccination again BEFORE we get pregnant; otherwise, our baby will run a high risk of blindness, deafness, brain damage, heart failure, etc. if, for whatever reason, I contract the rubella virus during my pregnancy. So it was basically mandatory that I get this shot, and as soon as possible. The virus has to run its course in my bloodstream for 4 weeks PRIOR to conception. Therefore, Chris and I cannot begin our next 3 consecutive rounds of insemination until September. We were hoping to start in August, but then we received the news about this ridiculous rubella thing, so now we've been pushed back one month. No big deal, we're taking every precaution to make sure our baby is healthy from conception. So, all that to say, I will be injected with a small dose of the German measles at 11:00 this morning . . . WHOOHOO!!! Hopefully I can make it through the day without feeling any side effects. Vacation is going to mean so much more to me after this is all said and done! 2 more days and counting . . . Ocean Isle, here we come!!!

No comments: