Let me just preface this blog entry by asking for forgiveness up front!
I am currently writing while in my irritated state and could easily say something that might offend someone, though I just look at it as an honest rant. I am also not speaking of any one person or group of people specifically, it's more aimed towards people as a whole (based on my past experiences). So, again, please don't be offended, I just need to get this out before I internally combust! lol!
I'll admit that I am easily irritated. These days it seems like there is at least one thing or person that irritates me on a daily basis (and no, I'm not talking about my husband!). What I'm most frustrated with this WEEK is all the people around me who are so completely against commitment of any kind. What's the deal? Why is it so hard for you to choose to commit to something? Is it because you're afraid something bigger and better might come along that you'd rather pledge your allegiance to? Is it because you're a lazy person? Is it because you don't understand what friendship really means? Or maybe it's just because you're selfish. I know that we all have busy schedules and there are many things on our plates these days, but come on, gimme a break! You are no more or less busy than I (even without a job) and you are certainly not an exception to the rule! We all need to take a break and have a little fun once in a while! Sometimes I'm actually quite amazed. It appears that those people who seem to stay the most busy are the one's who have no problem at all committing to things; but those who aren't as busy can't ever seem to commit. It's like when I ask someone to do something 1 month in advance and they look at their calendar and see that nothing is planned for that date, but still say "I'll have to get back to you about that" (usually followed by a "no"). Sometimes I just feel like saying "get over yourself and learn how to commit to something for once in your life!" I will own up to the fact that I am a Type A personality, so commitment comes easily to me b/c I take everything so seriously. But you don't have to be like me in order to understand what commitment is all about. How do you expect to maintain relationships if you never commit to anything? "I can't . . . " is something I often hear from my friends . . . why? why "can't" you?
The people I am closest to, the people who truly matter in my life and have made their presence known over and over again, are the people who have taken the time to be a part of my life . . . to commit to me and to our friendship. These are people that check in on a daily basis (or close to it). These are people who want to know what's going on in my life and how to best be there for me. How can you ever expect to earn that kind of relationship if you're not willing to invest??? I don't have time for people in my life who are not willing to be committed to me - that was called "high school" and that was over about 10 years ago! I walked away feeling like I was moving on to a more engaging and fruitful part of life, and that did not include wishy-washy, half-committed friends. There are too many serious journey's that life takes you through to be so capricious with your heart, feelings, emotions, and relationships.
I am an event planner (by hobby). I love to plan things and be social! But lately it seems like the more events I plan, the more disappointed in people I get. So, I've decided to just take it easy for a while. Chris made this suggestion to me earlier in the week and I have finally come to grips with it. It seems against my nature to do so, but maybe if I back off a little, I won't be irritated so often anymore! lol - we'll see!
Again - this was just a highly built-up rant, so please don't think I was talking about you in particular, and please don't be offended! But sometimes, we really just need to hear the truth about ourselves!
1 comment:
Hey Melody! So this has nothing to do with your post and may be kinda random, but I tried to get the same background on my blog but the stripes didn't show up just the polka dots did, so how did you get it to work? But I hear ya on the commitment thing and it really aggrevates me when they say yes and then either back out last minute or just don't show up! How rude! :)
Post a Comment