Thursday, August 27, 2009

Job Status and Update . . . and Request for Prayer

I have now been unemployed for 10 whole months. I can hardly believe it's been that long already. I'm beginning to feel a little rusty on all my once very top-notch administrative skills! :) A few weeks ago I was informed about an opening at the Bank of America Corporate Center as as AAIII for the Corporate Treasury Department. Bank of America is the number one bank in the country and the headquarters is in Uptown Charlotte. I had a phone interview about 2 weeks ago and was told that someone would follow up with me within a week to schedule an office interview; however, the posting stayed listed internally through the 25th. This job seemed very promising from the start. The daily tasks and responsibilities were all things I have done well in the past and could continue to do well in the future. I was referred to the boss man by the lady leaving that position, as she is a friend of mine, and was highly recommended by her. Charlotte informed me that during their discussions about me, and after reviewing my resume, Ken (the boss) was very interested! Plus, Charlotte mentioned that the team I'd be working on is comprised of really nice, fun, and laid-back people - she knew that I'd fit in perfectly there. All this sounds great to us so far. Then I remembered that BofA also offers an Adoption Policy as part of their benefits package to its employees. The bank will offer an $11,000 credit for employee adoptions. At this point, the job is looking REALLY good to us! But after having more time to consider it, I began to remember what my life was like when I was in that corporate environment, riding the bus an hour each way just to get to my destination, and being gone 12 hours a day. I was miserable. I hated it. And after I was laid off and began looking for a new job, I very specifically requested of God that it not include any of those former things. So, now, the bank job still looks good - great pay, great benefits, adoption credit, etc., but compromising my life's values and turning my back on all that I have grown to love so deeply during my time off these last 10 months, doesn't make the job that enticing after all. I am still waiting for my callback about an office interview.

Then today I get a phone call completely out of the blue from a guy named Lee McDaniel. I am familiar with Lee. You could say that I know OF Lee. Lee is a member of our church. He actively participates in serving our church body. His daughter, Megan, was also a student of my during my 2 years teaching at HGBCS. Lee told me that he is looking for an assistant. He shared this news with our friend, Ashley, several weeks ago to which she responded with my name and number. Ashley never revealed any of this to me (though I have seen her numerous times since that exchange). Lee tells me that he is a salesman of medical equipment, but lately hasn't had much time for that as he has been overwhelmed with paperwork from clients, patients, insurance agencies, etc. that he works with. He, in essence, needs someone to step in and take that load off of him. The job hasn't officially been "created" - it sounds like it would be something he and I create ourselves. He asked that I talk it over with Chris, spend some time praying about it, then call him back when I am ready to either decline the offer or hear more about it. There is an innumerable amount of potential I see in this job. Too much for me to get into right now, especially having not heard of all the details of the position yet, but it's certainly safe to say that I see God moving here.

I will make that phone call in the coming days and I ask for your prayers in the interim and while making this decision. We need to see and understand God's purpose at this junction. We need to both be on the same page about these opportunities. It's not the salary or benefits that are most important here, it's knowing and doing what the Lord has planned for me and following in the steps outlined on the path towards living a life that is pleasing and honorable to God, and best for my family.

I'll keep you updated.

No comments: