Thursday, August 13, 2009

What Will Be Said of You?

It's not often I find myself thinking about death. But there are times when I do think about my funeral. And while I do have particular requests (i.e. burial vs. cremation, overall atmosphere, no funeral home, etc.), the one thing I always tread upon is the powerful question "what will be said of me?" I hope that people will say that I was a loving and generous person. I hope that people will be able to truthfully say that they saw Christ in me. But as I was reading my Bible this morning, I stumbled upon a verse in 1 Thessalonians that I have read at least a dozen times, but very honestly always skimmed over in terms of its content. But after reading it as a fresh Word brought to my attention by the Lord today, I realize that this is exactly what I want to be said of me when my time on this earth is over.

"We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thess. 1:3

This verse also reminds me of another challenging question: "So then, how shall we live?" Answer: "To live is Christ, to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21)

No comments: