Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Family Altar

Recently I read an excerpt from a Beth Moore book written by her daughter, Amanda, about the family altar they implemented in their house while she was growing up. Here's what she wrote:

"When my sister and I were growing up, my parents made a family altar at the hearth in our living room. Each morning a devotional book was set out for us to read along with a Bible and an index card with that day's memory verse written on it. We also had a family prayer journal where we wrote down our prayer requests for the day. It was a wonderful way to learn how to offer God the firstfruits of our day."

What a neat concept! I've been talking about this with Chris and I would really love to implement something like this in our own home. We'll need to figure out a strategy that works for us, especially b/c we have no kids yet, but I think it's a good idea to get in the habit of doing now so that when our family does expand, our children will learn the value of Jesus in their daily lives and the necessity of walking with Him (especially in this increasingly fallen world).

No comments: